Trogir was founded by the Greek colonists in 3rd century BC. The town became a trade center because of trade in marble, and at one point it even issued its own currency featuring St. Lovre, patron saint of the city. Trogir is often called "museum town". In 1997 old town was included at UNESCO World Heritage List. The main town square features a city hall, Duke's palace from the 13th century displaying a plaque commemorating the anniversary of the Croatian hymn. Nearby there is also a church of St. Sebastijan, patron of protection against the plaque, which instead of the bell tower has a clock tower.
In the 3rd century BC, Tragurion was founded by Greek colonists from the island of Vis, and it developed into a major port until the Roman period. The name comes from the Greek "tragos" (male goat). Similarly, the name of the neighbouring island of Bua comes from the Greek "voua" (herd of cattle). The sudden prosperity of Salona deprived Trogir of its importance. During the migration of Slavs the citizens of the destroyed Salona escaped to Trogir. From the 9th century on, Trogir paid tribute to Croatian rulers.
View Larger Map
The diocese of Trogir was established in the 11th century (abolished in 1828) and in 1107 it was chartered by the Hungarian-Croatian king Coloman, gaining thus its autonomy as a town.
In 1123 Trogir was conquered and almost completely demolished by the Saracens. However, Trogir recovered in a short period to experience powerful economic prosperity in the 12th and the 13th centuries. In 1242 King Béla IV found refuge there as he fled the Tatars. In the 13th and the 14th centuries, members of the Šubić family were most frequently elected dukes by the citizens of Trogir; Mladen III (1348), according to the inscription on the sepulchral slab in the Cathedral of Trogir called "the shield of the Croats", was one of the most prominent Šubićs. In Dalmatian, the city was known as Tragur.
In 1420 the period of a long-term Venetian rule began.
On the fall of Venice in 1797, Trogir became a part of the Habsburg Empire which ruled over the city until 1918, with the exception of French occupation from 1806 to 1814. After World War I, Trogir, together with Croatia, became a part of the State of Slovenes, Croats and Serbs and subsequently the Kingdom of Yugoslavia. During this period Italian citizens, until 1918 the ruling class and almost half part of the population, were forced to leave for Italy. During World War II, Trogir was occupied by Italy and subsequently liberated in 1944. Since then it belonged to the second Yugoslavia, and from 1991 to Croatia.
Trogir has a 2300 years of continuous urban tradition. Its culture was created under the influence of old Greeks, Romans, and Venetians. Trogir has a high concentration of palaces, churches, and towers, as well as a fortress on a small island, and in 1997 was inscribed in the UNESCO World Heritage List. "The orthogonal street plan of this island settlement dates back to the Hellenistic period and it was embellished by successive rulers with many fine public and domestic buildings and fortifications. Its beautiful Romanesque churches are complemented by the outstanding Renaissance and Baroque buildings from the Venetian period", says UNESCO report.
Trogir is the best-preserved Romanesque-Gothic complex not only in the Adriatic, but in all of Central Europe. Trogir's medieval core, surrounded by walls, comprises a preserved castle and tower and a series of dwellings and palaces from the Romanesque, Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque periods. Trogir's grandest building is the church of St. Lawrence, whose main west portal is a masterpiece by Radovan, and the most significant work of the Romanesque-Gothic style in Croatia.
The most important sites include:
* Historical city core, with about 10 churches and numerous buildings from 13th century
* The city gate (17th century) and city walls (15th century)
* The Fortress Kamerlengo (15th century)
* The Duke's Palace (13th century)
* The Cathedral (13th century) with the Portal of Master Radovan, the unique work of this Croatian artist
* The big and small palaces Cipiko from the 15th century
* The city loggia from 15th century